Tier 2 of the Points Based System

Since 2008 in order to sponsor migrant workers from outside the EEA, UK employers must be registered with the Home Office as licenced sponsors.

tier 2 puzzleWith the introduction of the points based system, the previous work permit category was replaced by the Tier 2 scheme which is now the primary route to the UK.

Only licensed sponsors can use the Tier 2 route to employ a non-EEA national from outside the settled workforce to fill a vacancy that cannot be filled by a resident worker.tier 2 visa letter temporary 30 day vignette

The Tier 2 scheme is divided into 2 categories:

Tier 2 (General) which concerns new recruits.

Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer), which concerns existing overseas employees.

Before an overseas migrant can apply for a visa as a Tier 2 migrant worker, they will need to obtain a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) from their UK sponsor/employer.

The information contained in this website is provided by ECS Ltd for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice. For legal advice contact a UK Immigration Lawyer or a OISC Immigration agent or the Home Office directly.